This project will involve the reconstruction of the alley between William Street and Clinton Place, just south of North Avenue. The improvement will involve the reconstruction of the alley with asphalt and permeable pavers to aid in the drainage of stormwater. The new construction will also allow for stormwater storage underneath the pavement to help reduce the amount of water entering the sewer system. During construction this alley will be inaccessible.
- 4/28/17 - The excavation of the permeable paver trench started yesterday and will continue through today. This should be completed no later than Monday with the permeable paver installation to follow sometime around mid-week next week.
- 4/25/17 - The paving of the alley edges was completed today. The asphalt will be given some time to cool off and will then be saw-cut to define the permeable paver trench that will be centered on the alley. Excavation of the trench is scheduled to take place this week. The perforated underdrain will be installed and the trench will be backfilled with open-graded stone (good for storing excess stormwater) shortly thereafter. Once the backfill is completed the bricks will be installed and the alley can then be re-opened to vehicular traffic.
- 4/18/17 - During today's construction a gas main was struck near William Street at the west end of the alley. Nicor crews came out and were able to stop the leak this afternoon and will take a few more hours to fix the section of damaged main. Unfortunately, this will delay some of this week's planned work. Additionally, the forecast for tomorrow also includes rain so we will continue to watch the weather in an attempt to maximize the time we have for construction. We appreciate everyone's cooperation and will continue to try to minimize any impacts as much as possible as the construction continues.
- 4/17/17 - Unfortunately, due to last week's rains not much work was able to be completed.With the warm weather over the weekend, the site has dried up enough to start construction of the underdrain pipe at both ends of the alley. This should be completed by tomorrow (Tuesday). Concrete installation at both ends of the alley is also scheduled for tomorrow. Once the concrete has cured, equipment will be able to get into the alley and begin building the new pavement with stone and asphalt. The permeable pavers will be installed shortly thereafter.
- 4/4/17 - While construction was anticipated to start today, this week's rain will push the start date to this Thursday, April 6th. Work will begin with asphalt grinding and removal.
- 3/23/17 - A pre-construction meeting has been held with the contractor to determine construction sequencing, duration, and other various details. Resident/business notifications will be sent out to those who will be affected in the near future.