August 11, 2015
Last fall, the Village of River Forest approved changes to on-street parking and traffic around Roosevelt Middle School – commonly known as the “Roosevelt PRI.” These changes will take effect with the 2015-2016 school year which commences on Monday, August 24, 2015. The Village will be erecting new signs this week which will designate the new regulations. The highlights of these changes include:
- Oak Street will be closed between Lathrop and Jackson during the school day. Currently, it is a one-way only street during school hours. School and Library staff will be able to park on both sides of Oak between 7:30 AM and 4:00 PM. Oak Street will resume normal two way traffic after the school day is over.
- The one-way designation on Jackson from Chicago to Oak will now continue through to Quick. This one-way designation is only during the school day and traffic will resume to two-way traffic during non-school hours.
- The east side of Jackson from Chicago to Quick will be “three hour parking only” during school hours.
- The west side of Jackson from Chicago to Quick will be reserved for school and library staff parking (near Chicago and Quick) and as a drop off zone – both during school hours. The drop-off zone will convert to short-term parking during the school day.
- Parking in front of the library on Lathrop will be 30 minutes or less for short term visitors.
These changes were recommended by the Village’s Traffic & Safety Commission (a group of resident volunteers) and approved by the Village Board. The Traffic & Safety Commission will review these changes later this year to review their effectiveness post-implementation. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email me or Public Works Director John Anderson.