The Village of River Forest Fire Department would like to remind residents of safety ordinances for the use of BBQ Grills & Manufactured Fire Pits.
Requirements for Code Compliance (IFC & Local Ord.)
- The smoke produced must not be a nuisance to any neighbor.
- Must be in an approved container designed for that purpose.
- Must be 10 feet from any combustible construction (houses, garages, decks, etc.) or material. Exception: One and two-family dwellings.
- Charcoal grills are not allowed on any balcony.
- Gas Grills are allowed on concrete or masonry balconies when the building is protected by an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with IFC-2003, sec. 903, and as long as item #1 is not creating a nuisance.
In addition to the above, the following must be met for Fire Pits:
- A means to extinguish the fire must be on hand nearby (fire extinguisher, garden hose, bucket of water).
- Must be 20 feet from any combustible construction or material.
- A metal cover or lid must be available for covering the container when done.
- Must be attended by an adult at all times of burning.
- Only dry, seasoned wood or charcoal can be burned, (no yard or construction waste).